- Aviation Act
- Regulation of the Government of the Republic No 240
- Regulation of the Minister of Economic Affairs and Infrastructure No 24
- Regulation of the Government of the Republic No 189
- General Precept of Director General of the Estonian Civil Aviation Administration No 4.1-7/15/33 of 9 June 2015
In addition, UA operator must acquaint himself/herself with the information in currently valid Estonian AIP, its Supplements and NOTAMs.
A special permit from the Estonian CAA is mandatory when operating UA in the following areas:
- controlled airspace (map attached),
- flight information zones (map attached),
- restricted areas (map attached),
- anywhere in the Estonian airspace higher than 500 ft / 150 m AGL.
When flying your UA outside of the above-mentioned areas, then no permit is needed. Of course, the UA operator must not endanger third parties when conducting his/her operations.
Estonian CAA issues the special permit for UA operators with a validity of one year.
In order to get the special permit, an application containing the following information about the UA operator or enterprise shall be submitted to the Estonian CAA:
- legal name (in case of an enterprise)
- business registry code (if applicable)
- phone number
- email address
- names and personal identification numbers of the RPA pilots.
The application for a special permit must be signed by the person who has right of representation of the enterprise.
Furthermore, all particular UA flights in the areas where a special permit is required must be coordinated with Estonian CAA so as to inform in advance appropriate air traffic services units.
Consequently, there are two procedures:
- issue of a special permit,
- coordination with the CAA.
For coordination, another application shall be submitted with the following information:
- place of operations (e.g centre coordinates with radius) with map attached
- purpose of the flight
- maximum height above ground level
- time of operations
- back-up plan in case of loss of control
- phone number from which the RPA operator can be promptly reached
- contact details of the applicant
According to the Aviation Act §51 (5) and State Fees Act § 168, a state fee 45 euros must be paid for the review of an application for a special permit obtained from the Estonian CAA.
State fees for Estonian CAA acts shall be paid as follows:
Beneficiary customer: Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Estonia
Beneficiary address: Endla 13, Tallinn 10122 ESTONIA
Reference no: 2900073106
Details of payment: (for example: special permit for RPA operations)
Beneficiary's bank / account:
SEB: IBAN EE89 1010 2200 3479 6011, BIC / SWIFT: EEUHEE2X
Swedbank: IBAN EE93 2200 2210 2377 8606, BIC / SWIFT: HABAEE2X
Nordea: IBAN EE70 1700 0170 0157 7198, BIC / SWIFT: NDEAEE2X
Last updated: 21.02.2021