The ship registry is maintained by the land registry department of Tartu County Court and comprises two registers:
1. the ship register, containing seagoing ships with an overall length of at least 12 metres and entitled to fly the flag of the Republic of Estonia, and inland vessels with a length of at least 12 metres. A sailing yacht or a launch shall be entered in the register if its overall length is at least 24 metres;
2. the register of ships under construction, containing seagoing vessels, inland vessels and non-propelled floating vessels under construction in Estonia.
The information in the ship registry can be accessed on the website of the electronic ship registry. The information in the ship registry and printouts of the data can also be accessed at the Estonian Transport Administration and notary offices. Certificates of nationality are issued by the Estonian Transport Administration and notary offices.
See also advice on ship registration on the website of the Ministry of Justice.
Estonian Transport Administration maintains three registers:
1. the first register of bareboat chartered ships, in which shall be entered the bareboat chartered ships whose responsible person has a business establishment in Estonia. The ships registered in the register of bareboat chartered ships prior to 01 July 2020 shall be deemed to be entered in the first register of bareboat chartered ships;
2. the second register of bareboat chartered ships, in which shall be entered the bareboat chartered ships whose responsible person has no business establishment in Estonia;
3. the database of ships performing state administrative duties.
In case of legitimate interest, ship registry files can be accessed on the spot.
The Maritime Administration keeps a list of the names of vessels registered in Estonian ship registers and assigns external identification numbers to fishing vessels.
Last updated: 10.09.2021