The conditions for being a supervisor are set out in Section 109 of the Road Traffic Act.
Registration as a personal driving supervisor is done pursuant to a Regulation of the Minister of Economic Affairs and Communications (Procedure for Issuance of a Certificate to a Personal Driving Supervisor of a Motor Vehicle Driver).
A person who undergoes or has completed a training course for driving a motor vehicle may drive a motor vehicle in the presence of a personal driving supervisor provided that the following conditions are met:
- The personal driving supervisor has held a driving licence for the respective category of a motor vehicle for at least five years. The period of holding a provisional driving licence is included in the period of holding a driving licence.
- The personal driving supervisor has no penalty in force for driving a motor vehicle in a state of intoxication or in a state exceeding the maximum permitted level of alcohol in the bloodstream or for violating traffic requirements for which the penalty provided by the Road Traffic Act is the withdrawal of the right to drive motor vehicles or for which the right to drive has been withdrawn.
- The personal driving supervisor has obtained the right to instruct from the Road Administration.
- The personal driving supervisor is allowed to instruct the driving practice of a person whose name is marked on the personal driving supervisor’s certificate or entered in the motor register.
You can check your criminal record at http://www.rik.ee/karistusregister.
The personal driving supervisor is only allowed to instruct the driving practice of a person whose name is marked on the personal driving supervisor’s certificate or entered in the motor register. If the supervisee is younger than 18 years of age, only their legal guardian may be the personal driving supervisor.
During the supervision, the supervisee must have the following items with them:
- an identity document and a learner’s form, or
- an identity document and a learner’s certificate
The supervisor must have a driving license or an identity document with them.
The Transport Administration recommends that the personal driving supervisor consult the driving school in advance on the subject of supervision.
The training vehicle used for the purpose of driving practice must have a training vehicle identification sign visible from the front and the rear. During driving practice, the supervisor of the motor vehicle driver is also considered the driver.
To apply for the right of supervision, the following must be submitted to a regional office of the Transport Administration:
- an identity document
- a driving license if the traffic register does not have information on a valid driving license
- a valid driver’s health certificate, unless the data in the driver’s health certificate are valid in the traffic register and the driver’s state of health has not changed or if the issuer of the health certificate has submitted the data electronically to the traffic register
- the paid state fee
We recommend applying for the right to supervision by way of the e-service of the Transport Administration.
Last updated: 29.04.2021